Slider

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Canon Photomarathon 2011 - India



Canon Photomarathon is an anual contest, celebrated by Canon Inc in some country. This year, the region's largest photo competition returns to Asia with twelve unforgettable expense-paid tickets to Tasmania Australia up for grabs. These are Singapore, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Ha Noi, HCMC, Yogyakarta, Jakarta and Malaysia. I have participated 2 times in Viet Nam, and now I have a chance to join in India. Here is my story about Canon Photomarathon in Bangalore.





Canon Photomarathon in Bangalore was held in St. Josephs School, Vittal Mallya Road, 18th September, 2011. According to the schedule of the program, we would have 1 hour and a haft to receive the theme, go out for capturing, then return to upload photo. Because every activities here start slightly late, so the competition also follow the culture – started the 1st theme at 10 o’clock. Beside of the late starting, they also had some programs during the main activity. It was interaction with celebrity, talk with a famous wild life photographer in India, lunch break. Because of it, the time for going out to shot was reduced. In Viet Nam, we had almost 3 hours per theme. And no lunch break, we had lunch during walking, running. I think it is more similar to a “marathon”. In my opinion, the interaction with celebrity in a street life compertition was very waste. Introduce about the celebrity, welcome her, listen to her expression, then give her a DSLR, she become a model to shot. I think these . . . all look like crazy. I recognize that she was really beautiful, that why a half of the hall focus on her, jostle to have a chance capturing her face. But this is Canon Photomarathon, not the camera exhibition with model, also not a fashion show. Please, we need more time time to focus on the main thing. Anyway, talking with the famous wild life photographer, and the competitor who has grabbed the prize to Turkey last year is quite useful. Everyone can get some experiences in photography, and in the passion with it.

When I came to the information desk to get the T-shirt and the ID card, I also received 3 blank paper. I didn’t know what is it use for until the MC explain about it. He said that if we upload a photo, if there are people in the frame, we must have the authority from them, though that paper. So, thing will happen like my case. I just spent 1 second to capture photo, but I took more than 15 minutes, or half an hour to have their signature. Actually, almost the people that I have taken photo, they don’t know English, they also don’t know writing. And for the one who know English, they feel that giving signature to a strange man is very risky. Sign in any paper is a serious thing, and I don’t think I will give my signature in any street. It must be in some office, or hall, coffee shop, restaurant. One more thing, in my backpack, there is no pen. I have asked the Canon team, in case I walk in the street, and photo a man who ride a motobike or in a Rickshaw, how can I get his signature? I saw that they were really confused with my question. Actually, this rule made everyone feel discomfort to photo, and the same to people who was in every photos. I understand that this rule help Canon using the photo in advertisement without claim, but it created so much difficulty to the photographer.

One more disappointment, they didn’t have group photo as they said. The Canon team get in their car even before the competitor. During uploading, all the system is hang for 15 minutes. They didn’t have card reader for CF card also. Luckily, I brought mine, and some guys had to borrow me. The upload procedure also required each photo will be stored in separated folder. But folder is for a group of file, this is just made more effort to upload the photo, made the waiting line up more longer.  So, with me, all of these thing made me thinking badly about the program’s organization. At least, I compared with the same event in Ho Chi Minh city. With those who have participated, they would know how is it happened.

Beside all of that, I had a wonderful time on the street. The 1st theme is: Game people play. I have gone with Aakash to the stadium, and the museum of science. We went around and took some photos, . . . also tried to get the signature. Really difficult!

Come to the 2nd theme: Building value for the next generation’s Indian. Aakash had some work and he must came home. I got in to some small street, and found many interesting scene. A child was helping her father to arrange the old magazines, scaled it and stored it. They do the scrap work. Another child was eating cake while her mommy catching bugs in her hair. I also discovered a contest during Ganesha Chatturthi festival, all the ladies draw patterns on the street, with chalk powder. I also found a pretty girl in that contest, she is really nice. She made me wish to have a child like her, so crazy, haha. 

Enjoy cake while her mommy catching bugs in her hair

 Drawing pattern for Ganesha contest



 Little child

For the 3rd theme: thinking green, I already feel tired and sleepy. So I have gone to the playground, look some guys playing cricket. Then I found a way to go inside the stadium, lie on the floor of second stage, take some minutes sleeping. After getting better, I walked around the stadium, watch some children drinking water though the pipe. When the competition end, I ask some people to look for bus to go home, but no direct bus for me. So I take a long walk to the Shanti Nagar bus stop, around 5km, take bus to Total Mall, then continue walking to home. That my Canon Photomarathon’s day, extremely exhausted. When lying down on the bed, I found a funny thing about this day. The 3 theme can combine to make a meaningful sentence: Game people play – building value for the next generation’s Indian – thinking green.

 Utilize the ambient light to read the news

But my passion with photgraphy is not just Canon Photomarathon. In evening, I am attracted by the fire cracker just near by my house. So I follow the crowd of Ganesha Chatturthi festival, of course, with my camera.

Copyright by Sonic

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I don’t think you would review by English. You made me so surprised and confused but I can still read it easily ^^ Kaka.
    According you told, maybe was the celebration Canon Photo Marathon in Dehli worse than in HCM, but I think it’s not the important thing. You had a chance all day to show your passion love in photography. Beside that, you also had some experiences when participated and competed with the Indian photographers. I really like your 1st theme. You could remember a little about your childhood during the time you looked for the most satisfied photo.
    I hope the themes in HCM city also will be as wonderful, creative and attractive as you join.

    PS@ next time, if you continue to write reviews or anything by English, I’ll probably punch you a few ones onto your eyes. Be careful :D

    TNS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually i just share the photo i love, it's not realated to the theme, and i don't uploaded that one :))
    Anh maybe someone has given you some punch in your eyes, because i join the Canon Photomarathon in Bangalore, not Delhi =))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaka, just a small mistake. I guessed that maybe I'll had made a mistake but I was so lazy to check it again :)). Why don't you show your photos which you used to participate with others ^^ I think there are a lot of people want to see it :P

    Kaka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bao giờ có bài tiếng Việt anh? =)

    NSH

    ReplyDelete

Bạn muốn bình luận mà không có tài khoản? Hãy nhấn vào "comment as" và chọn một trong hai cách sau:
- Chọn Name/URL và điền tên bạn vào, và link trang cá nhân của bạn (facebook chẳng hạn)
- Chọn Anonymous và sau khi bình luận nhớ ký tên.
Hãy để lại tên, vì chúng ta không cần ẩn danh nhỉ :D

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs